Monday, August 30, 2010

Physical Therapy Visit

I started physical therapy for my hip last week. Are the exercises supposed to be making it more sore? I feel like I should be allowed to run if I have to deal with hip soreness anyway. The physical therapist wasn't very helpful in giving me a specific diagnosis. (Hip tendonitis bores me. I want a more specific diagnosis. Which part of the hip exactly? I've found two types of hip tendonitis on google.) She checked my range of motion, checked my resistence ability (pushing against my leg in different directions, not my ability to resist donuts or anything like that), and essentially said "you're weird." Twice she told me I was saying it hurt in a place that shouldn't have hurt. She also seemed surprised my doctor hadn't asked for an xray or MRI or anything. So I'll give PT another week or two before I start harassing my doctor again. I need to go buy a bottle of ibuprofen, which seems imperative to my recovery. That plus my PT exercises 2-3 times a day, followed by stretching, and ice. The PT exercise essentially entails wrapping a looped theraband around my knees and doing the opposite of the thigh-master movement. The stretch (pictured here) is one of the same IT band stretches I did all last year; the PT even gave me a printout from the same website I originally used to learn the stretch. I'm not really convinced PT is going to help because it doesn't seem like anything new, other than the hip abductor exercise which makes my hip more sore. Well that plus the ultrasound which seemed to make it feel a little better too.

3 comments:

  1. I think hips are the hardest and most frustrating injuries to heal! I hope it starts feeling better soon. The theraband/crabwalk exercise seems to be one of the more useful exercises in my experience. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your hip is healing! Mine is finally better, a little late for my race, but at least I can run some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion: you need a better physical therapist. Your intuition is entirely correct: when you find one who really has an idea of what's going on and can explain it in detail, you have a winner. After my back injury a few years ago, I was fortunate enough to find a fantastic physical therapist, and he really took the lead in coordinating my care. Probably saved my life.

    ReplyDelete