Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blue Diamond Nut Thins review (gluten free!)

Recently Blue Diamond sent me some Nut Thins. Blue Diamond is a partner with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, and Blue Diamond is a sponsor of the NFCA's Athletes for Awareness blogs. Blue Diamond is also a local business for me - I rode my bike past their headquarters countless times last year. It's right between doggie day care and the bike path!

I had seen Nut Thins for sale when we were in Florida for my Ironman back in November. But before the Ironman, I was really paranoid about trying new foods - I wasn't trying anything new during race week. I also then saw them on the shelf at my parents house when I visited for Thanksgiving. My parents have a gluten free shelf in the pantry just for my occasional visits! The shelf is always packed full, and if I tried everything on each visit, well, I would probably gain 2 pounds per day instead of just 1 per day! My mom also loves to bake, so I had a variety of pie crusts and donuts to sample as well, so I sampled those instead of the Nut Thins that visit.

Fast forward to December and I found myself browsing the gluten free selections at my grocery store wanting to try something new. I bought a box of the Almond Nut Thins. These are basically plain crackers made with almonds and rice flour! You get to eat 16 regular sized crackers per 130 calorie serving (and 3 grams of protein)! The Almond Nut Thins were great and on our next shopping trip we bought a box of the Pecan Nut Thins in addition to a second box of the Almond Nut Thins. We love the pecan ones just as much as the almond ones!

Blue Diamond sent me Country Ranch Nut Thins. Normally I'm not much of a fan of flavored crackers or chips. I like basic flavors because I don't eat them very often so I want them to work for a variety of things - eating plain, with soup, with cheese, etc. But I had a box of Country Ranch crackers sitting there just asking me to give them a chance, so I did. Oh so yummy! The Country Ranch flavor is even more addicting than the plain Almond or Pecan crackers! And surprise surprise, they go well with everything. I've crumbled them onto a potato, eaten them with beans and salsa, crunched on them with soup, snacked on them plain, with salmon, etc, etc. These are so good. I'm so happy I got the chance to try these! They are delicious.

Nut Thins are made in a shared facility, BUT as they clearly say on the box "Each production run is sampled and tested to confirm gluten levels do not exceed 20 PPM." That's basically as good as you can get! I would not hesitate to recommend Nut Thins to a celiac. They are absolutely delicious and I've not had any reactions. And my non-celiac husband enjoys them all too. His two cents - the pecan are a little sweet and the ranch are very flavorful. When I came home from work he was eating the ranch ones with cream cheese! The crackers come in an airtight aluminum bag inside the box. (The aluminum bag is covered with food-grade plastic film.) The bag is easy to tear open without any scissors. We haven't worried about putting the bag into an airtight container after opening and we haven't had any problems with them going stale. I think I'll buy the Hint of Sea Salt flavor next or maybe Hazelnut... One thing is for sure, Nut Thins are a new staple in our house!

FTC disclaimer: These products were provided to me free of charge. I was not paid to do this review.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. You should be their spokesperson. Which flavor shall I get for your next visit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't we having birthday cake? You don't need to get or make anything else for me. We'll barely be in town for 36 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those! My son can eat a whole box of the cheddar!

    ReplyDelete