Saturday, October 24, 2009

So much to do, so little time!

Time is running out! Leaving for Panama City Beach in 1 week. Race is in 2 weeks. My to-do list just keeps getting longer. Thankfully the workouts are getting shorter! Today was a brick workout. Lately I've been practicing packing my Transition Bags by putting everything together that I'll need for the bike in one bag, the run gear in another bag. When I come home done with the bike, everything I need for the run is in one spot. Just like race day. Here are some photos I took on my 60/6 brick a few weeks ago. I figured they'd help me make sure I wasn't forgetting anything when I pack for Florida. Except that I'll need a bit more food and more clothing options and a few other random things.

Bike bag:
In case you can't tell, those are hot pink arm warmers on the left. I need to add a towel to dry off feet, and my ear warmers, and probably lots of other little things.


Run bag:The roundish black thing at the top is my IT Band Wrap. Love it.

Yesterday's swim went great. When I went to put it in my training log I realized it was the first time in a looong time that I did my whole swim workout. The water temp in the pool is so much nicer this time of year because they heat it to 82. Perfect for me! I swam 4000 yards which is actually my longest swim workout this year (not counting two 4000 meter swim races).

Today's brick went pretty well. The bike seemed pretty easy. My toes got a little numb after 2 hours or so though. I either managed to ignore it or it went away because I didn't notice it near the end of my ride. My worry on the bike is that I'll get really uncomfortable. I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Just hoping it happens near the very end of the ride instead of mid-day. The run wasn't too bad, although it was pretty hot. I think I managed to do miles 4-5 faster than 1-3, but I'm just guessing as I haven't checked my stats yet.

I'm starting to freak out a little about the race. I think I need to stop reading race reports that I find online. It's a loooooooong race and basically anything can happen, and has happened to someone. Perhaps I should be reassured by the reports that mention repeated vomiting but end with a sub-17 hour finish nonetheless. I've been advised to make sure I have anti-diarrhea medicine, anti-gas medicine, etc, etc, etc. I should probably add crazy pills to that mix, because every so often I think I must be crazy to do this. I had that thought during the first mile of my run off the bike today. It's the first time I've thought that in a long time actually. Maybe it came about now because the race is in TWO WEEKS! So I can't just tell myself "I've got plenty of time to train" anymore. The training is DONE. It's time to taper!

There are a million other things I'd like to blog about right now, but I am super tired and need to get my stuff together for tomorrow's ride. It's my last ride on my race bike until my bike arrives in Florida a few days before the race. I'm dropping off my bike and a gear bag (to be packed still! not sure what to put in it other than bike shoes, helmet, saddle bag) at the bike shop tomorrow after I finish my ride. Sierra is also hoping to go to the city pool's Doggy Splash Day tomorrow. I've got to figure out if I can actually squeeze everything into two suitcases or if I need to mail stuff to myself too. I've been advised that Panama City Beach is not gluten-free-friendly, so I'm not taking any chances and I'm packing a bunch of food. Good thing my husband is a light packer.

3 comments:

  1. taking pictures for packing later -- what a cool idea!

    did you find your pink arm warmers, or did you end up buying new ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I found them! I bought new black ones just before the race I needed them for a few months ago, and JUST before I opened the black ones I found the pink ones :)

    ReplyDelete