Thursday, October 29, 2009

10 day forecast

Race day weather - who knows what it will bring. I checked the Old Farmers Almanac a few weeks ago and it didn't freak me out. (I put a lot of faith in the old farmers almanac. When I got married a few years ago it accurately predicted rain for the 3 days before the wedding, but clear skies on wedding day. I may have been the only one not surprised to wake up to the most gorgeous sunny day on our wedding day.) Well, turns out I may have been focusing on the rest of Florida. Not the panhandle. Here's the long range forecast for Panama City Beach, per Old Farmers Almanac:
NOVEMBER 2009: temperature 55° (0.5° above avg.); precipitation 5" (avg.); Nov 1-4: Sunny, warm; Nov 5-9: Scattered t-storms, warm; Nov 10-15: T-storms, then sunny, cold;
 
Let's hope those storms are very scattered and not around on the 7th.
 
So finally, we're 9 days away from race day, which means the standard 10 day forecasts now includes Saturday, November 7. I just learned yesterday that the weather forecasters count day 1 as today!
 

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy;  High of 77°, Low of 61°, 10% chance of precipitation

accuweather.com

Saturday, Nov 7
High: 76 °F RealFeel®: 75 °F
Mostly sunny
Saturday Night, Nov 7
Low: 57 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F
Clear to partly cloudy

 

 

 
 
 
 
weather.msn.com
 
Saturday
Nov 07
 

Hi: 72°

Lo: 68°

 

Showers30% Chance of showers. High 72F and low 68F. Winds NE at 9 mph.

 
I'm packing for anything. My leg warmers and long fingered gloves are already on their way to Florida. I'm bringing pants and shorts for the run. I'll have ear warmers, a short sleeve jersey, a long sleeve top, a sleeveless jersey, etc, etc. But I'm really hoping it doesn't rain and, more importantly, I'm hoping that there aren't thunderstorms. Sometimes races get changed around due to weather. The swim portion can get cancelled, the bike can get shortened, etc. I may sound crazy to some of you, but on November 7, I WANT to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles.  I want mother nature on my side. I'm hoping for the best, but planning for the worst, and expecting something in between.
 
Last night I did my swim that I skipped on Tuesday. I started my Wednesday morning with a 30 mile ride on the trainer (and 2.5 episodes of Felicity). After work I went straight to the gym and hopped in the pool. Wow it was windy and chilly walking to the pool, but once I got in the water, it was perfect. I used my new goggles that I just got from zappos.com. My coach suggested them and they worked well without any adjustments even! I just swam and swam and swam. I don't like swimming in the dark, but luckily there was someone else in the pool the whole time, so it was less creepy. And then I was done with my workouts on work days! Today is a rest day and tomorrow I've just got a short swim but as of tonight I'm on vacation from work until after Ironman. No more having to fit training and work into my life at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. I just checked the weather forecast also. I actually am hoping for clouds and no rain. Rain could jeopardize the swim.

    10 4 on the wanting to do the whole thing... Bring it on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny I realized this is probably the most boring post for everyone, except maybe the other athletes. Glad you're on the same page.

    140.6 here we come.

    ReplyDelete