Monday, September 21, 2009

Slow and steady

Clearly our parents were wrong. Slow and steady doesn't win the race. But it might get you to the finish line. I'm focusing on speed and mental training this month. I actually enjoy speed work, though it's hard for me to see any improvement, I like to tell myself I'm getting faster. During my 100 mile ride on Sunday I realized my pace is what it is. I hope to beat the 5:15pm bike finish deadline with some room to spare, but it might only be an hour or so. One thing that sucks about being slow on the bike is since my swim isn't too terrible, I'm going to get passed by a lot of people on the bike. I guess it's better than not seeing anyone on the course. It's all relative anyways. My average pace during my first half iron (almost exactly 2.5 years before IMFL) was something like 12mph.
 
My 100 mile ride on Sunday had me finishing with a 15.7mph average pace - considering riding time only. Add in 27 minutes of various water and bathroom stops, and it pulls me down to 14.7mph. I'm hoping I can hold 15mph in Florida because 1) I'll be tapered, and 2) I won't have to stop for water. I'm pretty sure I can get by without stopping at special needs either, considering I carried all my food on Sunday without any problems. I'll probably still leave a bag with some extra food at special needs in case something flies off my bike, probably CO2s and a spare tube or two also.
 
 
Totals from last week (Mon-Sun):
Swim: 17 miles (3000yds); 58 minutes
Bike: 162 miles; 674 minutes
Run: 17 miles; 210 minutes
Weights: 8 min
Abs: 0 min
Total: 950 minutes (15 hours, 50 minutes)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment