Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sick

I've been miserably sick since Sunday night. I felt fine all day Sunday until it hit. And it hit hard. After about 4 hours of this nastiness (I'll spare you the details) I ended up having to call 911 for a ride to the hospital, per doctor's advice when I called her at 1am. Diagnosis: acute gastroenteritis which caused severe dehydration which caused me to pass out, repeatedly. The passing out is what finally got to me crawl to my cell phone. After the dozen or so firefighters showed up in my apartment, they gave me oxygen and transported me to the hospital, sticking me with a needle on the way so I'd be ready to get an IV (not comfortable while moving!). If I felt better, I'd write the details of that early Monday morning, including the passing out trying to get to the bathroom in the ER, the nice warm blankets, the nasty meds, saline IVs, etc. Incidentally, I think it's probably a good idea to put your address near your landline. I always assumed 911 could trace your address, but I had to come up with it for them, and I could only do it because I had my drivers license.

Short end of it is that the doctors said it was likely NOT due to overexertion in the Aquabike on Saturday but instead the race just brought my defenses down and made me more susceptible to this nasty bug. Thank goodness. Before I even called 911, I was thinking "wow if just the swim+ bike portions of an IM made me this sick, there is no way I'm doing IMFL." Now I just need to pack a face mask to wear on the plane ride after the race.

I missed the last three days of work. First time that I ever think I've missed three days of work (or school!) for health reasons! I'm really thankful I've got a coach because Coach Jamima is keeping me positive, telling me it's okay to take the time I need to get better and that she'll rearrange my training calendar (that she worked so hard on last week!) and get me back on track when I'm ready. Just 3 months until Florida!

3 comments:

  1. Omg! I'm so glad you're OK/getting better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling well enough to post this. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto to your mom. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete