Friday, August 7, 2009

3 Months!

I can't believe it's August 7! Just three months until November 7! Wow. Time sure flies. I am pretty sure I'm going to be ready when the time comes, but I am not looking forward to how nervous and anxious and worried I'm going to be. Packing the transition bags ahead of time and turning them in the day before the race... Hopefully I won't worry all night before the race wondering if I forgot anything, even after checking it repeatedly before turning it in. I'm thinking maybe I should practice that. Put all my gear for the next day's workout in a bag by the front door, and then just be done with it. Maybe if it's a habit I won't stress (as much) about it.

I'm feeling a lot healthier every day this week! Today I rode my bike from the park to work, about 3 miles each way. A big step from sleeping on the couch all day for most of the week. I did the nice and easy pace wearing my casual Friday clothes. Walking out of the office and just hopping straight on my bike and riding away is a little bit nicer and more fun than changing into bike clothes first. Today was a nice change, although I'm eager to get back to my workouts. Riding in the morning was so nice. Wind in my face again. I felt like I'd been away for such a long time, but it's just been since Sunday. (I did a 30 min recovery ride Sunday afternoon.)

Last night I had a freakout about my impending bike purchase, but I think that's passed. I'll try to post more about the bike after I pick it up tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that during the Aquabike race I saw so many different animals. I said hello to most of them since I had nothing else to do. Sheep, horse, ostrich (or emu?), bird, racoon or huge squirrel (this one was dead so it was hard to tell - it also reminded me of discussions with my younger brother about dead animals and it made me laugh. sicko.). I noticed today that I've been bumped down to 4th in my age group in that race. USAT rules for ages are a little odd - your age for a race is whatever your age will be on Dec 31 of that year. I'm guessing there was some confusion regarding two 29 year olds. The person who was 2nd in my age group got bumped up to F35-39, and the two people who got moved from F25-29 up to F30-34 got 2nd and 3rd in my age group, bumping me to 4th. On the plus side, now I only missed 2nd place by less than 4 minutes! I guess that's cooler than missing it by an hour. 2nd place woman is doing FL too, and she's from Sac. It'll be nice to see a familiar face there.

Ironman Coeur D'Alene spots are almost full. I'm pretty surprised there are still spots left! I'm ever so mildly tempted to sign up for it. It's a late June race and the course is beautiful. But the swim is cold and this year the weather was miserable - rainy and cold. Ugh. Not what this  tropical blooded gal needs. Maybe when I toughen up a bit more. So, yes, I'm still mildly insane. The IM distance still sounds like f-u-n! Not that I won't be surprised if I'm thinking of a different f- word 3 months from now.

Now it's time for me to be doing what other Ironman-wannabes are doing this lovely Friday evening at 9pm. Sleeping!

2 comments:

  1. Hope your feeling better.

    Practice everything, that includes packing and putting things in their bags. You dont want to obsess about it race night and morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh crap it IS august 7! now the 8th! and if you're stressed about Nov 7, I am stressed about OCT 7!!!!

    Coeur D'Alene looks gorgeous, you should think about it. Looks like this year's weather was a fluke, weather.com shows that it's normally much nicer there in June.

    ReplyDelete