Sunday, June 7, 2009

Running weekend

Friday I'd planned to run 4 miles, but when I started my foot hurt. I kept adjusting my shoe, stretching my ankle, etc, but after about 5 or 10 minutes I decided I should give up and try again tomorrow. I did part of a pilate dvd instead. My abs are still feeling that. (Also getting in plenty of ab workouts because my brothers make me laugh so much.)

Tried running again Saturday morning and had the same problem. I finally realized it was the slant of the street that was irritating my foot. Usually I run a counterclockwise loop, and I'd decided to run the other direction so my hips and legs wouldn't get sore from always turning left. But when I run clockwise from my parents house, I usually run on the wrong side of the street past the first 4 houses to eliminate two extra street crossings. So as soon as I realized it might be the street slant, I continued the run and sure enough as soon as I turned right and ran on the left side of the road, my foot stopped hurting. Perhaps this is an indication that I need to get a new heel insert for my right shoe (to even out my slightly shorter leg). My run felt nice once I solved that problem. Nice enough that I decided to do the 4 mile loop instead of just the 1.5 mile loop twice. I'd left a bottle of water by the front door of the house, figuring I'd stop by in the middle to quench my thirst. But the 4 mile loop doesn't come near the house at all. I had to cut it short when I realized the country club's water fountain had been moved into a secured area, unavailable to trespassers like me. So I just ran 3 miles, but that was fine because I knew I'd find someone to hike or run with Sunday morning with all the family in town. I did go for a short bike ride last night too, but it was more of a leisurely fun ride with my friend and not really a workout. It's strange not having my bike while I'm in AZ after having spent so much time on the bike last month! Without long bike rides, my workout hours have sure shrunk.

This morning my sister-in-law and I ran 4 miles. I slept in (until 8!!) so I was afraid she'd have gone without me, but she waited. We'd planned to run 3, basically doing the 3 mile loop I'd done on Saturday, but carrying water this time. But we were enjoying it so much we went for 4, to burn off some of the excess calories we'd consumed in the form of carrot cake (GF and regular - my mom is a baking machine!). My brother rode a bike along the route with us for part of it. Jumping in the pool afterwards is always a nice way to cool off! Tonight some of us are going for a night hike. The city pool has longer lap swim hours M-F so I'll probably aim for a real swim tomorrow or Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment