Sunday, June 21, 2009

Off days

I'm having one of those days today, where nothing is going according to plan. Last night I went to sleep planning to get up and do a 53 mile hilly ride with the Sac Wheelmen bicycling group. Since the Vineman events are 4 weeks and 6 weeks from now, it seems imperative to really do some hilly rides.

Unfortunately, I woke up with pain in my upper left quadricep. Maybe it's a hip flexor problem? I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's definitely the muscle that gets sore when riding uphill, walking upstairs, running uphill, etc. I rode on the trainer a few minutes and confirmed it would be too painful to do the ride today. We went for a walk with the dog instead.

Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do. Do I go for a flat ride and hope that I don't make my leg worse? Schedule a massage appointment asap? Ride the trainer so if it starts to hurt I can call it quits? Go for a long walk? Go for a swim? I'm really not sure what to do. I just wish my leg didn't hurt so I could've gone on the bike ride as planned.

At first I thought I was lacking motivation and just being lazy. I pulled up ironman.com and started watching the live video of IM Coeur d'Alene. There's no audio for most of the day, but I'm watching silent cyclists stream in past the webcam in packs. Apparently nobody is getting in trouble for drafting. Although with the number of cyclists riding, I don't know how one could avoid drafting. (On the bike, you have to be at least 3 bike lengths behind the next cyclist to avoid a drafting penalty (a few minutes added to your time). Drafting is only legal on the swim and run.) It seems there are updates (with audio) on the top of every hour. It's really interesting to watch the pros who are 80 miles into the bike right now. Almost everyone in the race seems to be riding a Cervelo.

I also started reading stories from Becoming an Ironman, a great book to read when lacking motivation. It a collection of various athlete's stories about their first ironman event. There are stories by people who won their age groups the first time they raced, people who barely met the 17 hour deadline, people who had average races, people who didn't finish.

So I found my motivation but my leg still hurts. I'm wishing I lived right next to the river bike path so I could ride safely outside without having to worry about traffic. Riding outside is so much more fun than being stuck on the trainer. Maybe I should hop on and ride for a little while and see how my leg feels. Or maybe I'll just go swimming, do some abdominal exercises, and things that don't involve the legs.

4 comments:

  1. sorry you had a rough day! I would have said go for the trainer so you could quit if it kept hurting. what did you decide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I opted for anti-inflammatories and ice packs on the couch. I decided that if it was hurting me just standing and cooking that I should take it really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good plan. How are you feeling now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still hurts... planning to ride to work tomorrow though.

    ReplyDelete