Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Meters vs. Yards

Swimming in the Phoenix area in the summer is so nice! The water is never too cold and it always feels so nice to be in the water that I never want to stop swimming. If you live in or visit the area, Cactus Pool in Scottsdale is great. $2 per visit includes access to the pool and the gym! I haven't checked out the gym because I always forget to bring my closed toed shoes, but the pool is great. Always plenty of lanes open since it's an L-shaped 50 meter pool that is usually setup as two 25 yard pools..

This afternoon I swam 3250 yards, which is 1.84659091 miles (according to Google). Would've been nice to swim a nice even 2 miles, but I thought the swim team was about to ask me to move to the other pool, and I had lots of other things I needed to be doing today. Actually I'm glad I got out when I did because as soon as I walked out of the facility they announced an emergency pool evacuation drill. Not sorry to have missed that.

I should probably be using my watch/lap counter to keep track of how long each X yards takes me, but I have a Polar heart rate monitor watch and when the battery runs out, I have to actually send it to a specific place in Los Angeles to have them replace it. I don't want to have to do it again before November, so since heart rate doesn't mean much in the pool, I just don't use the watch in the pool. As far as I can remember, I swam the first 20 lengths (250 years) in about 9 minutes, the next in 10, next in 10, and left me with the first 65 lengths in 32 minutes. I paid attention to 65 because I was thinking it was a mile until I remembered I was swimming yards, not meters.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is bothered by the difference in yards and meters. Training books always give the workouts and just say do it in meters or yards. Sure if you're not swimming very far it doesn't matter, but 1600 meters is a mile (ok 0.994 mile, but close enough) but 1600 yards is only 0.9090 mile! So six lengths, 150 yards, and 3 minutes later I had swam as close to a mile as I could get without swimming a partial lap. One mile took me 35 minutes. At that pace, I'd finish 2.4 miles in 1 hr 24 minutes. My goal time is 1:30 so I guess that's okay. (My goal is pretty conservative and allows for getting kicked in the face/neck/stomach and stopping to cry for a minute or two, I figure it's nice to start a race feeling like I'm ahead of schedule.)

My memory isn't so good after the 1 mile mark... Very rough guesses: I think I swam 80 lengths in about 42 minutes (or was it 84 (1.2 miles)..?) and I hit 100 lengths around 53 minutes. Total was 130 in 67ish minutes. (Pace = 2.4 miles in 1:27.)

Vacation is going way too quickly. I think this is the first time I've ever taken 2 full weeks off from any job, and I'm amazed at how quickly the time has flown. I'd hoped to do more, like a rent a bike and go for a long ride while I was here. But I just have the time. It'll be interesting to get back on my bike tomorrow after I get home and see if my legs remember how to pedal hard!

1 comment:

  1. What sort of evac drill were they doing? Fire?

    Its great you manage to do pool swims... I think the VI ruined me forever with regards to doing a real pool workout. :/

    ReplyDelete