Thursday, April 2, 2009

Plyometrics = Sore

Leading up to an event, I cut back on weights for a week or two (or not at all, if it's entirely just for fun). I've been terrible about getting to the gym to do weights for the last few weeks due to having the puppy the whole time, so I figured this would not be the week to start doing weights, when I'm doing my first 100k bike ride of the year on Saturday. Silly me, I forgot that plyometrics can make me even more sore than lifting weights! (Plyometrics = jumping exercises.) Tuesday's group run workout included form drills and also plyometrics. Specifically the jumping squats are what's causing my current suffering.

Yesterday I biked to work for the first time this year. It was a nice 33 minutes to work and it took me 44 minutes on the way home. The windy afternoon made for a good workout. My legs were pathetically sore though going up the 4 little "hills" (freeway overpass, bridge, etc). I was already worried about the 100k bike ride due to not having missed 2 weekends of long rides and not doing enough hill training, so since I'm this sore from the jumping, I decided to take today and tomorrow as easy days. (i.e. skipping today's 5 mile run) Hopefully I'll recover in time. Today I might hop on my bike on the trainer when I get home for about 30-45 minutes, but first I need to change the pedals again. I decided it was too stupid to change all these things (saddle, shoes, pedals) before my longest ride of the year so far, so I want to change them back. Unfortunately I don't think I can swap the pedals on my own. It's a physical strength thing, not a technical issue. I'm not sure that makes me feel any better though. I hate having to rely on someone else to help me with my bike! Tomorrow will be a rest day if I have time on the trainer tonight, otherwise I'll ride the trainer in the morning very easy for 30-45 minutes and that'll be the end of that.

I should really do plyometrics on a weekly basis. It helps improve speed and strength for running. If I do them more often, maybe I won't get so sore!

No comments:

Post a Comment